In traditional, patriarchal business structures, there’s a one-size-fits-all prescription for success, and that size is BIG. We are taught that scaling our business, reaching for the millionaire status is the key to success, but what if you want something different?
Scaling your business is a very misunderstood concept. Some people think scaling equals growth. Other people think scaling is taking in more revenue than expenses, in other words, it is growing income without also increasing expenses. For other people it is about leveraging your time so that you spend less time for more income.
The problem with scaling is that many business owners don’t recognize what it actually takes to scale a business. There is no secret or magic – we can’t just “poof” and our business is bringing in more money.
So it comes down to, what do you really want? Some people say they want freedom, but often scaling a business requires more time, energy and effort. It often doesn’t really produce more freedom, because it means more responsibility.
There are ways to scale a business to get what you really want, but you have to be clear about what that is and ensure your business model is capable of achieving it. I cover some of this in my Business Design & Business Models intensive within Worthy Women Collective.
In this episode, I brought on four brilliant guests: Lila Simmons, Naomi Calderon, Nicole Lebreux and Eva Bramwell to discuss how scaling is really about giving yourself permission to align your business with your values and desires.
We also discussed:
- Why perpetual, neverending growth isn’t sustainable, for ourselves, and for our planet.
- Shifting our focus from the dollar figures on our balance sheet to the impact we’re having in the world.
- How we can reject the pressure to scale at all costs, design a work life that centers us as complete human beings, and find a more personal definition of success that complements our lives rather than competes for our energy.
- How scaling your business is about giving yourself permission to align with your values and mission.
More about our guests:
Lila Simmons is a healing artist on a mission to liberate women from the patterns that keep them broke, sick, and stuck in toxic relationships.
Magician. Witch. Badass Healer. Naomi Calderon has been called many things during her fifteen years in the wellness industry. As a speaker/author/coach, she blends ancient wisdom with modern science to lead women in reclaiming their power and living a juicy life in peri- and menopause.
Nicole Lebreux is a community herbalist, radical self-care mentor, and earth-centered business coach that guides women + non-binary folks to find connection, purpose, and freedom through plant medicine, meditation, and entrepreneurship.
Eva Bramwell is a lifestyle and tech entrepreneur helping people stretch into a healthy lifestyle. Health (physical & mental) is the foundation to positive change in the world.
Where can you follow Eva Bramwell:
More Support for Women In Business:
- Love the podcast? Need a little weekly pick-me-up delivered straight into your inbox? Sign up for my Worthy Love Notes.
- In Worthy Women Collective, we focus on creating ease, joy, freedom & business success. We are smashing the patriarchal business table and creating a table of our own. Join us!
Thank you for being you. We are so honored to have you as a listener!